Director: Kari Planz
Three-year old class
Head Teacher: Andrea Kowaleski
Assistant Teacher: Jennie Pearsall
Four-year old class
Head Teacher: Kari Planz
Assistant Teachers: Jennie Pearsall, Emily Planz
A Message from our Director…
We consider it a privilege to have your child join our preschool family. Providing a safe, developmentally-appropriate learning place where your family feels comfortable and where your child can thrive socially and academically is of utmost importance to our staff.
Calvary Methodist Preschool has been a ministry of Calvary United Methodist Church for over 40 years. Our preschool board consists of Pastor Janet James, preschool parents and church members who oversee the operation of the preschool and provide encouragement and support to the preschool staff.
My own five children (who range in age from 13-24) have all attended school at Calvary. Though I have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, I quickly realized after my first child was born that I wasn’t meant for that career. I went back to school at night for education and have been working with preschool age children since 2003: as a coach at World Class Gymnastics, a teacher at St. Mary’s in Waterford, finally, at Calvary as an assistant, working my way up to head teacher then director. Not only have my kids attended, but I’m proud to say that two of them also work here.
I’m often asked why I love working with preschool age children and the answer is easy: because they are so anxious to learn new things! Not only that, but this age group is constantly teaching me new things, which makes the job ever-changing, new and exciting. I am very thankful to have the opportunity to spend my days with your children.
I look forward to meeting you and your child. I am always available to answer your questions or discuss any concerns or ideas you may have.
Andrea has an M.S. in Education, a NYS certification in special education and reading and 6 years experience as a master teacher in an integrated preschool classroom. She was a former administrator at day/residential school for students with autism and related disabilities until she became a mom to Kameron, 9, and Josie, 4, who both attended Calvary. Her background and education bring a wealth of knowledge to our school.
4 year old Curriculum
- Social skill development – Sharing, taking turns, following directions, developing friendships, sitting for circle time, walking in line, cooperation
- Fine motor skill development – Tracing, coloring, cutting, gluing, writing, correct pincer grasp
- Gross motor skills – Climbing, jumping, yoga, bike riding, swinging, throwing and kicking balls, running
- Literacy skills – Name recognition, letter recognition, letter sounds, some beginning sight words
- Math readiness – Number recognition, counting, shape recognition, beginning addition
- Science – Measuring, predictions, graphing, baking, sensory play
- Music and Art – Music and movement class, daily themed art projects